Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Spaghetti Squash is my new low carb pasta

Last night I finally made spaghetti squash.  I have no idea why it has taken me so long to try it....maybe it was because the hard thing was a little intimidating when I brought it home.  How will I get this to make pasta and how do I cook it???

It was actually EASY...once I could cut it in half.  I used my sharp knives that I sliced my finger at the end of last year trying to separate turkey burgers, however this time made sure I kept my finger clear!  Once it was cut, I scraped out the seeds and "guts" (just like a pumpkin), placed rind up on a cookie sheet with foil that I sprayed with olive oil, and baked for about 45 minutes in a 375 temp oven.  I let it set for about 5-10 minutes then removed the insides with a fork from stem to stern and got spaghetti looking strands!
Low in Calories, Highly Nutritious - The fact that a cup of cooked strands has only around 40 calories is AWESOME! Plus, it's a very good source of fiber and loaded with lots of key vitamins and antioxidants.

Here is the nutritional facts on spaghetti squash:
PER SERVING (1 cup cooked strands): 42 calories, <0.5g fat, 28mg sodium, 10g carbs, 2g fiber, 4g sugars, 1g protein

ENJOY!
~Deb

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried it either but have wanted to! I may just have to buy one this weekend now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should definitely try it! I'm making again tonight with shrimp creole for Fat Tuesday:)
      Holy hugs,
      ~Deb

      Delete